The Clos de Mures vineyard is situated at the very heart of the Paul Mas Estates, in the area known as Cru Gres de Montpellier near to the town of Montagnac in the Languedoc.
Clos de Mures is a small section of vineyard surrounded by hedges of wild blackberries (hence the name), within the 80 hectare Nicole site. The soil here is essentially millenial aged old seabed comprising of clay on limestone with lots of fossilized sea shells such as oysters, some as large as your hand!
The wine is made up of 85% Syrah, 10% Grenache & 5% Mourvedre from vines as old as 50 years and as “young” as 29 years. These old vines produce just 45 hectolitres per hectare (around the same volume or less than some of the Grand Cru Classe Chateaux of Bordeaux). This all helps provide concentration, structure and intensity.
20% of the wine has gone through malolactic conversion in barrel while the remaining 80% goes through ‘malo’ before going into French and American oak barrels for 9 months (30% new oak, 70% first and second fill barrels).
The finished wine is wonderfully complex with deep blackberry, blackcurrant, violet, cocoa and sweet spice aromas. The palate is full and rounded with flavours of roasted nuts, cocoa, dried cherry, black fruit, cedar, sweet spice and vanilla clinging to a body that is robust with silky smooth tannins. Finishing fresh and minerally. This is a superb wine that drinks well now but will also reward in years to come.
you may also like