Chateau Gruaud Larose St Julien

Gruaud Larose was originally founded by Father Gruaud in 1725 and upon his death, the property was passed in 1781 to his nephew Chevalier de Larose. This historic 2nd growth Grand Cru property has one single block of vines composed of 82 hectares, virtually unchanged for centuries. The most recent owner (since 1997, the Merlaut family) has installed full organic and biodynamic practices in the vineyard making Chateau Gruaud Larose both historical and modern.

The grapes are grown on some of the oldest gravel banks in the Medoc, deposited 600,000 years ago. Alongside this alluvial soil are pockets of quartz, clay, and sand on limestone. The wines are vinified in 50-50 cement and French oak vessels with a generous period of post-fermentation maceration. The wine is then aged for 18-24 months in 100% French oak barrels, of which, 85% is new oak. The remaining 15% was used for the previous vintage. The 2016 is compiled of 69% Cabernet Sauvignon, 29% Merlot and 2% Cabernet Franc.

This is a deeply concentrated complex wine with lots of earth, spice, charcuterie, tobacco and farmyard characteristics. This is a classic powerhouse from St Julien with lots of finesse and elegance. A great refined wine for drinking now or in decades to come.

£85.00

Add to Wishlist
Add to Wishlist
Add to Wishlist
Add to Wishlist
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email
•  Country France
•  Bottle Size 75cl
•  Alcohol 13%
•  Vintage 2016
•  Colour Red
•  Region Bordeaux
•  Varietal Cabernet Franc,Cabernet Sauvignon,Merlot
•  Flavour Floral Touch
•  Units 70.80
•  Type
  • Biodynamic
  • Organic
X